In this episode Dr Newson and qualified nutritionist and chef Emma Ellice-Flint, talk about gut matters, microbiome research and what foods can make a difference to the gut and whole body health. Topics discussed include:
- Control how you feel through what you eat, bidirectional communication to/from gut and the brain.
- The time it takes to make a change to your gut microbiome through what you eat.
- Fecal transplants, what it is and some recent research.
- Different types of prebiotics and probiotics and what they are, including kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi.
- Getting variety into everyday eating, making vegetables the center of your dish.
- Which good fats to especially eat - extra virgin olive oil, nuts and seeds, avocado, seafood.
- Digestion and the anticipation of eating on digestion.
- Fasting and ways of doing it.
- Variety - pushing out your food choices to include more varieties of fruit and vegetables.
- Individual - what suits one person may not suit another, learn to understand what works best for you.
- Sleep - good habits around sleep and what you might be able to improve to have a better night's sleep.
Emma's Three take Home Tips for Gut Health:
- Variety is important! Especially when it comes to vegetables - try to mix it up and try new things.
- We are all individual and what works for one person when it comes to weight loss, bloating, hormone balance etc might be different for another. Find out how your body works!
- Sleep is so important. We make better food choices when we are well rested.